The Woods Hole Library is excited to present a series of lectures that explains the very basic concepts of gardening. This is aimed at people who are interested in gardening of any kind—vegetables, herbs, foundation planting, trees, shrubs, flower gardens.
Each of the lectures addresses one aspect of garden knowledge, so that the beginner will feel confident they understand the conditions of their own property and how to select plants according to those conditions.
All of the lectures are presented by members of the Master Gardeners Association of Cape Cod. Master Gardeners are experienced gardeners who have undergone extensive training from their County Extension. They are then considered additional extension resources, available to help the public with their gardening problems. They run a telephone and email hot line.
Printed resources will be available at each lecture, and information on where to find help from the Master Gardeners and Barnstable County Cooperative Extension.
Wednesday, February 13:
Gardening for the Absolute Beginner: Water
Warren Collins will explain
- how water is used by plants
- Cape Cod’s water resources
- how to assess your own property’s water regime
- how to water properly
- selecting plants based on your water resources
Wednesday, February 27:
Gardening for the Absolute Beginner: Soil
Len Reno will explain
- that soil is not dirt, but a complex, living collection of organisms
- Cape Cod’s soil
- analyzing your own soil on your property
- how to make your soil better
- selecting plants based on your soil
Wednesday, March 13:
Gardening for the Absolute Beginner: Plants
Mary Pat MacKenzie will explain
- what those categories of plants mean: perennial, annual, herbaceous
- how to determine what your own property’s conditions are: sun, shade, dry, moist
- USDA zone requirements: not just winter temperature
- how to read a plant tag
- selecting plants based on your needs and the limits of your time and landscape
Wednesday, March 27:
Gardening for the Absolute Beginner: Sun
Cathy Cetta will explain
- how plants use sunlight
- sunlight resources on Cape Cod
- determining the sun and shade on your own property
- selecting plants according to their sun requirements
All lectures are at 7:30 p.m. in the downstairs meeting room of the Woods Hole Public Library.